Jim Naleid's - TEC Blog

Monday, February 4, 2013

TEC LEADERSHIP and STAN MUSIAL



Baseball aficionados will be talking about Stan Musial for some time. The famed, life-time St. Louis Cardinal died at the age of 92 a few weeks ago. He spent his entire career in the same uniform. While he played during an era of some more notorious characters, like DiMaggio and others, Musial did something none of the others ever came close to. His career-high strikeouts during a season was 46. Think of that. Over 22 years he walked to the plate somewhere in the neighborhood of 11,000 times, hit the ball 3 out of ten times at bat, struck out one in ten times, and walked or got hit by pitches the others. There is good reason he was the National League Batting Champ seven times.

He was a  humble man. The fans loved him and he loved them back.

SOME HAVE IT, SOME DON"T

During the 1990s my wife would travel to Florida with me during baseball's spring training. My clients were young, professional baseball players already making millions or about to. While the vast majority of those I served were outstanding young men, there were those that were simply ingrates, spoiled by doting parents or lacking in social grace for one reason or another. Some of those I had the privilege of working with are still associated with the great game either in the front offices or the dugouts as coaches in the majors leagues. Many simply went back to a life that includes hard work and caring for their families. Others are broke, have been in jail or have sullied the game with their doping antics.

I didn't know Stan Musial personally. I did watch him on a black and white TV screen as a kid and was among many who pretended to be 'Stan the Man' in our empty-lot pickup games. One of those spring evenings we dined in a  St. Petersburg Beach restaurant.  I was 'blown away' when I realized we were sitting just a few tables away from this living legend and his wife who were enjoying a quiet evening of their own. No one was bothering 'The Man.'

A ONE TIME, UNFORGETTABLE EXPERIENCE

When we finished eating and were making our way to the door, my wife interrupted my astonished rambling, "That was Stan Musial, can you believe it Hon, that was Stan Musial;" with, "You're not likely to ever have this opportunity again, just go say hello and tell him how you feel."

Overcoming my own apprehension, and really, a respect for his privacy, I went back. He smiled and extended his hand. I apologized and he reassured me not to worry. He asked my name and pulled out one of his famous, printed cards and wrote the brief note you see above. We spent less than a minute and I'll never forget it. There are boxes of signed caps and balls in my basement but none as precious as this.

Shortly after Musial's death, Mike Leuchtfeld of Red Bud, IL who is a notable collector of baseball memorabilia, said that,"Because Musial was so approachable and willing to sign just about anything placed in front of him, the higher volume of autographed items will hold down prices in the collectibles market."

THE IRONY OF MISPLACED VALUE

Reading between the lines, if a celebrity of any profession were unapproachable, unfriendly or just too full of themselves to readily scribble their signature on a piece of anything, it will be more prized. Isn't that an odd reality?

Put some of this in a leadership context. Now, mind you I didn't do exhaustive research for this post and can't say what kind of a leader Mr. Musial was as a player in the club-house, on the field or in his post-playing days. From my experience though, I can tell you that the athletes I met who were the antithesis of 'Stan the Man' were not liked by their teammates, didn't consider the value of their supporters and showed little gratitude to other professionals in their hire.

The leadership qualities Stan Musial displayed, however, were plain as day and statistically unshakable.

A 'MUSIAL' KIND OF LEADER

Leaders of his ilk are dependable, loyal, grateful, generous and firm but kind. They don't need to strike out in ratios like Babe Ruth did to make a lasting mark on their craft. They influence others with a quiet competence that becomes emblazoned in the legacy of timeless leadership. It is a leader who can readily place their signature where it has lasting meaning that deserves to be included in an elite group of men and women known as genuine leaders - the kind we like to work for and that like us equally well for working with them.

Jim Naleid is a Life-long Entrepreneur, Change-Agent and Thought Leader, Managing Director of Naleid & Associates and Regional TEC (“The Executive Committee”) Chair leading a group of executives to become Better Leaders, Making Better Decisions with Better Results. http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimnaleid

6 comments:

  1. I love this. Especially the sad and delicious irony you point out concerning the value of his memorabilia. What surprises me in life - though -it shouldn't by this time - is that we all know what good leaders are, and the kind of people we look up to. And yet, they are still so rare to encounter in the flesh.

    I met one the other day, though- a Commonwealth of Massachusetts cabinet official surrounded by a team of dedicated staffers. He shared the limelight, and took credit for nothing. A few days later, I met one of his team again, and I commented on the rare chemistry I thought I had perceived. She said he was the best boss she had ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Jim! As I assume greater leadership responsibility in my own roles, it is important to glean the valuable lessons people like Stan Musial can share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great insights, Jim.

    Musial's stats are even better than you reported. He had 12,717 plate appearances and 696 strikeouts. That's about 1 in 20, not 1 in 10. His lifetime OBP was .417 -- 21st all time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post, Jim. 'Stan the Man' is the type of leader that we all seek to find, and if we are lucky enough, have the honor of learning from. I think of the few very precious mentors that I've been blessed with along the way that have changed my life and molded me to be who I am today. They may not be baseball legends, but non-the-less are successful leaders of integrity with a humble desire to see someone succeed. Authentic leaders that fit the bill. Humble yet firm leaders like 'Stan the Man.

    So perhaps now is the time to follow his lead, embrace 'Stan the Man's' legacy. Who will we take the time to influence today? What type of leader will we be known to be? Have we earned the right to be included in this elite class of "genuine leaders?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post, Jim.

    Stan is an example of someone who focuses on his strengths and cared about others. Often today, I find that some take a short sighted approach. They are too quick to do what makes them look good, at the same time compromising their core values or doing so at the expense of others. He, on the other hand, takes the time for others, building confidence and character on the whole team. I would love not only to have someone like Stan as a leader, but also- if I were the coach/manager-on my team! The long term dividends would earn more than any short term gains.

    ReplyDelete